Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Leadership for a tester - part 3 (people)

Let's talk about the last one. People leadership.

Let me mention this first. If someone asks me to recommend one book that explains pretty well about software development/testing leadership, I would pick "Notes to a Software Team Leader" by Roy Osherove. I really appreciate every point he made in his book, and I totally agree with him. Awesome book. You should read it. He is one of my favorite guys of software development speaker. Like uncle Bob, Martin Fowler and Scott Hanselman. I've really enjoyed watching all his "Unit testing, TDD, team leader manifesto, and etc." YouTube videos. His talk is not as exciting as uncle Bob or Martin Fowler, but I respect his talk because I can feel the pains, thought process, lesson learned, experiment, and effort he went through from his own software development experience. OK. Enough for the guy. Let's start

I always wanted to mention this first when I blog about people leadership. Here goes. I'm sure you've seen lots of articles like '10 common thing that amazing leaders do', '5 habits of great leaders, 10 signs of a great leader and so on. (seems like leadership article should have some sort of list). Leadership is not some attributes added to who you are. It is actually who you become. It requires genuine effort to motivate people and to convince people with what you believe. People are not stupid. Don't believe that everyone in your organization is practical. More money and higher position may keep some practical people. But that does not keep genuine and professional people. You have to be genuine.


Don't be an assh**e because you're smarter than others. You may become a leader because you stand out. You're smart and you do your work more efficiently and fast. Being an assh**e is different from being charismatic. Charismatic leader scolds at people when the value or vision gets disturbed. Ass**e scolds at people when his/her own expectation is not met. Don't think people will respect you because you're simply smarter than them. I like the quote of Jeff Bezos (Amazon) at Princeton Univ. "Cleverness is a gift, but kindness is a choice. Would you bluff it off when you're wrong or would you apologize?"


People leader knows and understand her people individually. She understands the strength and weakness of her people. Some people needs coaching. And some people needs freedom. If she goes up, she understands each team's strength and weakness. She focuses on progress and think about how to help the progress rather than seeing the result and judge. Hitting the milestone is easy to check, but understand what kind of problem gets solved and know what kind of barrier there is are hard.

Well.. I might update this post later. I've got some more to write but I'm a little tired. :)





No comments: